Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, who represents Kogi Central, has said she will soon show proof that Senate President Godswill Akpabio sexually harassed her.
Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Thursday, the female senator said, “At the right time and at the right space, I will present the evidence that I have.”
Natasha also praised the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for rejecting a petition to remove her from the Senate, even though she felt the action came late.
“I’m a lawyer. I’m a senator and I understand how Nigeria works. For me, the most important thing is this recall process has been stalled.
“I give kudos and credit to INEC even though I believe they should have thrown it away from the get-go.”
She added that many of the names and addresses in the recall petition were not real. “Even though INEC did count 208,000 signatures, I bet you if they had gone into the verification stage, they would have struggled to even have 500 people come out to attest to signing that.”
The recall petition was submitted on Monday, March 24, 2025, by Charity Omole, a supporter of Kogi State Governor Usman Ododo. Omole led a group of people from Kogi Central to submit the petition to INEC.
However, INEC later announced that the petition did not meet the rules under Section 69(a) of the Nigerian Constitution. “Therefore, no further action shall be taken on the recall of the Senator,” INEC said.
Natasha had earlier accused Senate President Akpabio of sexual harassment and misuse of power after a disagreement over sitting arrangements in the Senate. Because of this, the Senate suspended her for six months for misconduct.