1. FG to reduce unemployment with tech skills — Presidential aide
The Federal Government, on Friday, expressed readiness to achieve a significant reduction in unemployment rates, through massive tech skill acquisition to boost the digital economy drive.
2. Ronaldo double seals Euro 2024 qualification for Portugal
Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice as Portugal edged a 3-2 thriller against Slovakia in Porto on Friday to book their place at Euro 2024.
3. Jandor files 34 grounds of appeal against Sanwo-Olu’s victory
The governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Lagos State, Dr. Abdulazeez Adediran, popularly known as Jandor, has filed an appeal to challenge the judgment of the state Election Petitions Tribunal which upheld the re-election of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
4. Tinubu appoints Onanuga SA on Information and Strategy
President Bola Tinubu has approved the appointment of Bayo Onanuga as his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy.
5. Gaza mass evacuation would be ‘disastrous’ – WHO
The World Health Organisation said Friday that a mass evacuation of the northern Gaza Strip would be “disastrous” for hospital patients, with hospitals in the south already at full capacity.
6. Lagos-Ibadan road to be completed in Nov, says Umahi
The Minister of Works, Dave Umahi, on Friday, said the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway would be completed in November.
7. Rivers: Police arrest suspected trafficker, rescue newborn twins
The Rivers State Police Command, on Thursday, arrested a suspected child trafficker identified as Peace Effiong with two newborn twins along the Rumuikini-Choba area of the East-West Road, Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of the state.
8. FG earmarks N134bn for retired soldiers
The Federal Government has approved the sum of N134,749,953,243.69 for security debarment allowance for military veterans, the Minister of Defence, Mohammed Badaru said Friday.
9. WHO pleads for reversal of Gaza evacuation order
The World Health Organisation on Friday, joined the wider United Nations in appealing to Israel to immediately rescind orders for the evacuation of over one million people living north of Wadi Gaza.
10. Kano conducts mass wedding for 1, 800 couples
The Kano State Government on Friday conducted a mass wedding of 1,800 couples comprising widows, divorcees, and spinsters selected from across the 44 local government areas of the state.
11. LASG gives home allottees three-month ultimatum
The Lagos State Government has stated that allottees of unoccupied home units in all government-owned estates have been given a 3-month notice to occupy their apartment or forfeit their allocation.
12. Nasarawa developer escapes death over missing manhood allegation
A 35-year-old developer, Francis Attah, narrowly escaped being lynched at the new Karshi area of Nasarawa State after he was accused of being responsible for the disappearance of the manhood of one Jerry Danladi.
13. Don’t use breast milk for eye treatment, ophthalmologist warns
The Head of Ophthalmology Department at the Osun State Specialist Hospital, Asubiaro, Osogbo, Bola Olomola, has warned Nigerians to stop applying breast milk to treat eye issues.
14. UNIPORT opens N1bn public health, research facility
The University of Port Harcourt on Friday opened the Africa Centre of Excellence in Public Health and Toxicological Research building valued at over N1 billion.
15. Akeredolu’s absence: Lawyer asks Assembly to adopt doctrine of necessity
A legal practitioner, Mr Allen Sowore, has condemned the alleged continued stay of the Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, in Ibadan, saying there was a need for the state House of Assembly to take action on the matter.
16. Social media regulation: We are engaging Google, TikTok, says NBC
The National Broadcasting Commission has said that it is engaging with major social media platforms to curb the excesses of their users.
17. Shell confirms leak from Peremabiri flow station in Bayelsa, begins probe
A multi-stakeholder Joint Investigation Team has moved into Peremabiri in the Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of Bayelsa State “to determine the cause and the impact” of the underground oil spill that occurred in the community’s environment.
18. Lagos shuts Mile 12, Owode Onirin markets over environmental breaches
The Lagos State Government has announced the immediate closure of Mile 12 International and Owode Onirin markets for various environmental infractions.
19. I’ve never felt this much pain, Wizkid cries at mum’s funeral
Pop star, Ayodeji Balogun, aka Wizkid, stated that he has never experienced the type of pain he is feeling, as his mother, Juliana, was laid to rest. She passed away on August 18, 2023.
20. Coroner summons Naira Marley, Prime Boy, Sam Larry over Mohbad’s death
A Lagos coroner court sitting in Ikorodu has summoned music stars, Abdulazeez Fashola, a.k.a. Naira Marley, Owodunni Eletu a.k.a. Sam Larry, and Owodunni Ibrahim a.k.a Primeboy over the death of Ilerioluwa Aloba a.k.a. Mohbad.